
Although we missed out on the Whistler portion of the family vacation this year, we met up with everyone in Victoria, B.C., to spend the better part of a week relaxing, playing, and enjoying the beauty of time 'away', together. We had an amazing, blessed time, and I truly felt like the trip was over way too soon!
Are you wondering about the green shirts? Rebekah had the great idea of getting family vacation shirts printed up, as a surprise for Steve and Paula. All of us, including the kids and the babies, got one to wear. Bryan designed the logo, and Rebekah handed them out to all of us the evening we arrived in Victoria. Steve and Paula were tickled, to say the least, and that was the best!


There are so many aspects of our vacation that I want to remember and write about. Like how we had perfect weather. And also, how amazing it was to watch all of the little ones deepen their bonds of friendship with one another. Evan and Miles could not wait to see their cousins every morning; it was Evan's first verbal request upon waking: "Can I see my cousins?" These kids love each other so much. What a joy!
And: family meals. Before our trips we all sign up for meals we will make for the group. I love this aspect of our vacationing together so much. It is always a blessing to cook+bake for everyone (if a bit daunting at the outset, too) and, of course, in this family there are some pretty incredible cooks+bakers, so every meal is delicious--savored and appreciated! And because we "eat in", we save money, the kids can run around when they are done, and we can sit and chat as long as we like. Amazing! I think breakfasts are my favorite... This year I loved sitting out on the deck in the gorgeous sunshine, looking out over the water, sipping hot coffee with Paula and my sisters-in-law, lingering over yummy food, and catching up with each other about some of the deeper heart things going on with each other.

To say I am thankful for this time away with our family, and thankful for Steve and Paula's vision for this time and their incredible generosity, is a major understatement. I simply cannot put my gratitude into words. I love that we all can do this together each summer... And that we all enjoy it so. Each year it gets better, too, as the little ones get a little older, and as new babies join the family...as our own relationships and friendships deepen.
I was telling Paula on the ferry ride home that I love how these family vacations give us the opportunity to serve each other and use our gifts... making meals and cleaning up... caring for each other's kids... listening and encouraging... humor... teaching (crochet, recipes)... music... and on and on. And everyone serves with such joy. I am inspired by the family God has given me--by each one of these individual Goughs! I am already looking forward to our special time together next summer!
Enjoy these snapshots from our time in Victoria!













































1 comment:
Hi Paula!! I had to comment on how amazing this vacation looks! What a beautiful family you all are- it really brought tears to my eyes to look at all the pictures and see the warmth and love you all have for each other. I'm so incredibly glad you had a great time on this trip- love you lots!!
Post a Comment